Pressroom

Discovery Benefits Named One of Best Places to Work by Business Insurance

8/12/2010 9:19:36 AM

BI Names Best Employers In Industry
RODD ZOLKOS www.bestplacestoworkins.com.

An in-depth evaluation has produced a list of 54 insurance industry companies to be recognized in this year's Business Insurance Best Places to Work in Insurance program.

Best Places to Work in Insurance is a joint effort of Business Insurance and the Harrisburg, Pa.-based Best Companies Group, and was open to all publicly or privately held property/casualty insurers, group life/health insurers, agents and brokers, reinsurers and third-party administrators with at least 25 employees working in the United States and serving the commercial insurance market.

This is the second year for the Best Places to Work in Insurance program, and the 54 companies on the 2010 list include 17 repeat honorees. Companies honored this year range in size from 25 employees to 8,830.

The companies are to be celebrated as an elite group of employers that have created high-quality workplaces that encourage employees to thrive in a work environment they can love.

Best Companies Group, an independent workplace excellence research firm that manages other regional and industry programs in the United States and Canada, managed the registration process, conducted the surveys, evaluated the data over several months and ultimately selected the firms that made the cut.

The assessment was a two-part process. Part 1-responsible for 75% of a company's score, involved a confidential 76-question Employee Engagement & Satisfaction Survey, which was used to evaluate employees' workplace experience and the company culture. The second part of the assessment, responsible for the remaining 25% of a company's score, was an employer questionnaire, which collected information about each company's benefit programs, policies, practices and other general information.

Using the two sets of data, BCG experts conducted an in-depth analysis of each company's strengths and opportunities.

To make the Best Places to Work in Insurance list, each company had to demonstrate a minimum standard of excellence, and the companies honored this year "are indeed innovators and the ones other companies use as benchmarks," said Peter B. Burke, president of Best Companies Group.

BCG's work also involves comparative analysis of the companies making the list. In a special report in the Oct. 4 issue of Business Insurance, we'll reveal how the companies ranked and take a closer look at the 54 companies honored.

Business Insurance also will recognize the companies and celebrate their achievement at an event featuring an educational program and awards luncheon in September in New York.

Participation in the program was free, though participating companies can purchase the "BCG Employee Feedback Report" summarizing the data collected in the employee survey process. In addition to the employee opinion data, the report also includes transcribed employee-written comments as well as the insurance industry benchmarking data from the participating companies.

It's not too early to start thinking about the 2011 Best Places to Work in Insurance program. To sign up to be notified when information is available about next year's program, go to www.bestplacestoworkins.com.

Return to Pressroom

For customer service
or to send documents: