Eligible medical, dental and medication expenses for HRA participants.
To get reimbursed for a medical expense, the IRS requires that it is:
- For the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease and for treatments affecting any part or function of the body
- Primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness
Expenses NOT generally eligible are those:
- Solely for cosmetic reasons
- Merely beneficial to one’s general health (for example, health spas)
Helpful hints for a smooth reimbursement:
- Look for pharmacies and drug stores that have the Inventory Information Approval System (IIAS) or meet the IRS’ 90% rule. Download the most recent list
- Hang on to receipts in case you are later asked for verification of the purchase.
HRA Eligible Expenses
HRAs are highly individualized by your employer. Please review your summary plan description provided by your employer or contact Participant Services at 866-451-3399 or via email at email@example.com.